The Michael J. Fox Show premieres Thursday, September 26th at 9:30pm on NBC
What NBC is saying about their new show.
Look who’s making the news again! One of NY’s most beloved news anchors, Mike Henry (Michael J. Fox, “Spin City”, “Family Ties”), put his career on hold to spend more time with his family and focus on his health after he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. But now five years later, with the kids busy growing up and Mike growing restless, it just might be time for him to get back to work. Having never wanted Mike to leave in the first place, his old boss Harris Green (Wendell Pierce, “Treme”, “The Wire”) jumped at the chance to get him back on TV. The trick, as it’s always been, was to make Mike think it was his idea. After several – okay, many – failed attempts, Mike’s family, anxious to see him out of the house, finally succeeded in getting him to “run into” Green. Now their plan is in motion. He’ll be back to juggling home, family and career, just like the old days – only better.
Why the show will succeed :
- Everyone in America has a reason to be in love with Michael J. Fox. Whether this love started from Family Ties, the Back to the Future films, or admiration in the way he’s taken on Parkinson’s isn’t important. The point is Fox can do no wrong. He’s an actor people root for.
- Spin City might not be on air as much as it used to be, but it was a highly effective sitcom
- NBC is betting on the show’s success by placing it in the Thursday comedy block formerly home to The Office and 30 Rock.
Why the show will fail:
- NBC hasn’t had a sitcom hit in a while.
- The 9pm NBC show on Thursday (Sean Saves the World) is also new, which means shaky lead in numbers.
The only way this show doesn’t make it to a second season is if Fox starts making bigoted rants. Believe in the power of Michael J. Fox. It can move mountains. If you need proof just listen to David Spade’s amazing Fox voice.