Premiere Date: Sunday, September 7 at 8/7c on Fox.
Cast: Everyday individuals from all walks of life come together to build a Utopian society.
Offical Synopsis from Fox:
“Behold UTOPIA, a bold new series based on the hit Dutch program. Watch what happens as 15 pioneering Americans wave goodbye to the lives they’ve known, move to a remote location, and set out to create a society from scratch. They’ve got limited supplies, wildly diverse backgrounds, and zero bathrooms.
What could go wrong — besides everything?
The Utopians will make every decision about how they live and work. Will they choose democracy or dictatorship? Capitalism or socialism? Fidelity or free love? Which religion, if any, will prevail? Will they punish or forgive? Keep or share?
Are those chickens friends….or food? If not now, when?
It is all up to them.
This is not a game. There is no prize. This is UTOPIA: reality TV in its truest form.
Of course, not all initial prototypes yield ideal results — and that’s where YOU come in! Any colonist who proves to be dispensable within Utopia will risk banishment and can be replaced by a newcomer vying to join.
Let UTOPIA begin…”
Why this show will succeed:
- Unscripted Gold. We live in a world dominated by reality TV, fans just cannot get enough unscripted drama.
- Life Imitating Art. Does UTOPIA’s plot reminds me very much of CBS’ hit summer drama Under the Dome. Like in Under the Dome, the UTOPIA contestants will be cut off from the rest of the world, left to fend for themselves as they navigate into unfamiliar territory
- Varying Beliefs. It should be very interesting to see what morals, rules, and regulations the new utopian society adapts as the various contestants offer their views on various topics.
Why this show will fail:
- Continuous Cast Changes. The reason most shows catch on and do so well is because viewers get attached to the stars/contestants over the season. With a constantly changing cast, many fans might check out when their favorite cast mate exits.
- Lack of Purpose. With most reality series featuring everyday individuals there is some type of prize the individuals are fighting for. With UTOPIA, there is no prize to win, just a matter of keeping this new society up and running.
- No End Game. The point/goal of the series is for the contestants to create and maintain a utopian society. However, if a utopian society is attained, there is really nowhere the show can go. After all no one wants to watch a show with no backstabbing and drama.
Prediction: While the plot of Fox’s latest reality series is intriguing, I cannot see this series going past one or two seasons. With a constantly changing cast, it will be hard for fans to connect to the series and want to stick around. There is no doubt that the series will have its share or drama, but with its base premise there is really only so far the creators can take this show. Look for Fox to pull the plug rather quickly.