Premiere Date: Tuesday, September 30 at 8/7c on ABC.
Starring: Karen Gillan, John Cho, Tim Pepper, Allyn Rachel, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, and Dvid Harewood.
Official Synopsis from ABC:
“‘Instafamous’ Eliza Dooley (Karen Gillan) has 263,000 followers who hang on to her every post, tweet and selfie. But one lonely day she has a revelation: being friended is not the same as having actual friends. She asks marketing guru Henry (John Cho) to ‘rebrand’ her self-obsessed reputation and teach her how to connect with people in the real world. Loosely based on My Fair Lady, Selfie explores the modern struggles of Eliza and Henry, as he tries to teach her how to live life offline—whether she ‘likes’ it or not.”
Why this show will succeed:
- Trendy plotline. One thing is certain, Selfie looks to bring a comedic twist on the current generation’s selfie obsession.
- Broad age range. Selfie possess the potential to attract viewers of all ages, each brining unique talking points to social media timelines.
- Relevance. Unlike any other show, Selfie looks to capitalize on the current social media trend poking fun at the faults in social media apps and sites.
Why this show will fail:
- Longevity. How long can a show about a self-absorbed social media mogul really go?
- Not enough star power. Read over the cast list above, chances are you won’t recognize more than one name.
- Stiff competition. Selfie with need to attract quite the following in order to bring in numbers any where near what CBS’ NCIS or NBC’s The Voice average.
Prediction: While Selfie has caught my eye through its brief teaser trailers, I cannot see this series going on for more than one season. Factor in a weak cast and a not-so-strong plotline and I can easily see Selfie becoming the first fall casualty.