Nicholas Hoult and Nicolas Cage star in the new Universal movie Renfield, a horror-comedy film that follows Dracula’s long-suffering assistant Renfield as he’s forced to procure prey for his master. Renfield is an absolute blast from start to finish, filled with over-the-top violence and zany performances from the two lead actors.
Apart from Hoult and Cage, the movie also stars Awkwafina, Ben Schwartz, and Shohreh Aghdashloo. The film, from director Chris McKay, runs at just over 90 minutes and is rated R for bloody violence, some gore, language throughout, and some drug use.
The “Dracula Sucks” edition of the Renfield Blu-ray comes with an embossed slipcover, a digital copy of the film, and the DVD version.
Renfield Blu-ray audio and video quality
The Blu-ray is shown in 1080p and the original aspect ratio of 2.39:1. Subtitles are available in English SDH, French Canadian, and Latin American Spanish.
Renfield Blu-ray special features
The special features are the most exciting component of the “Dracula Sucks” edition of the Blu-ray release. Fans of the movie will be delighted to find alternate takes, making-of featurettes, deleted scenes, an audio commentary track, and more!
- Deleted and Extended Scenes: The Blu-ray features almost 20 minutes of new content, including a scene where Mark offers Renfield advice, Renfield’s dance, and more.
- Speaking of Renfield’s dance, there is a separate little featurette about the dance number that ultimately did not make the final cut.
- Alternate Takes: This is a smaller collection and not quite as fun as the deleted scenes, but it’s still an interesting, if unorganized, compilation featuring some alternate takes.
- Dracula Uncaged: Nicolas Cage fans won’t want to miss this short featurette that goes behind the scenes of how the actor turned into the classic monster.
- Feature Commentary with Producer Samantha Nisenboim, Screenwriter Ryan Ridley, and Crew: It would have been nice to get a commentary with some of the actors, or even the director, but the commentary is still plenty informative and really digs into the various aspects of the movie from many different perspectives, including the makeup effects, sound design, and others.
- Monsters & Men: Behind the Scenes of RENFIELD: This is a meatier look at the creation of the movie as it’s longer than some of the other extras and good for those who want to know how the sets and costumes were crafted.
Additional extras included on the Blu-ray are “Fighting Dirty” with stunt coordinator Christopher Brewster, “Flesh & Blood,” and a special makeup effects extra called “Stages of Rejuvenation.”
Overall, this is a great Blu-ray for fans of Renfield, and they should find plenty here to keep them occupied after rewatching the movie. It’s definitely worth purchasing, although it is disappointing that Universal doesn’t appear to have a 4K UHD release planned.