Many families take a trip to the movies on Christmas Day, it’s a fun tradition. There are no stores open, most restaurants are closed, but you can always count on movie theaters being open. Whether you participate in this tradition and want to know which movies are playing this Christmas weekend or this is your first time going to the theater during the holiday, we’ve got your back with a holiday movies guide 2022.
Do you have any go-to Christmas classics you play each holiday season? Also, if you prefer to stay home on this day, we totally get it, so we list recently released features on streaming. All you need is a subscription to one of the many (oh so many) streaming platforms.
What movies are in theaters on Christmas this year?
After you binge The Grinch, Elf, and Home Alone, take a trip with loved ones to the movies! Below, we include a good mix of movies already playing and new releases.
- Violent Night, in theaters now
- Avatar: The Way of Water, in theaters now
- Strange World, in theaters now
- The Whale, in theaters now
- Connect, in theaters Dec. 22
- Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, in theaters Dec. 21
- Babylon, in theaters Dec. 23
- Women Talking, in theaters Dec. 23
- Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody, in theaters Dec. 23
There’s a little bit of everything, folks. From a highly anticipated animated feature in Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, to a biopic in I Wanna Dance with Somebody. There’s also the recently released animated comedy from Disney, Strange World, that tanked in theaters, an underrated good time!
What movies are streaming on Christmas this year?
Here are some recent releases you may have missed.
- Spirited, streaming on Apple TV+
- A Christmas Story Christmas, streaming on HBO Max
- Christmas With You, streaming on Netflix
- A Hollywood Christmas, streaming on HBO Max
- Scrooge: A Christmas Carol , streaming on Netflix
My family and I watched Scrooge: A Christmas Carol earlier this week and loved it! It’s a sweet movie and great take on the classic story. What will you be streaming?