6. Season 2: “The Belchies”
This was the point where the rankings started to get really tricky as I went back and forth between two episodes to land this spot. Ultimately, one stood out more than the other which you’ll find out soon. Coming in at #6 on my list is “The Belchies,” the first episode of season 2 and boy what an episode it was.
More from FOX
- Only 3 of FOX’s live-action scripted shows are coming back in March 2024 the rest are being held for Fall 2024
- Is El Cantito from Kitchen Nightmares still open?
- Bob’s Burgers: The (Raccoon) King and I was a busy episode for all
- Bob’s Burgers skipping Thanksgiving this year: Here are 4 can’t-miss holiday episodes to rewatch
- Is Love Bites from Kitchen Nightmares still open?
A parody of The Goonies, “The Belchies” follows the kids and their friends as they try to find buried treasure in a taffy factory that is set to be demolished.
Eventually, Bob and Linda come looking for them, but most of the episode is spent with the kids. Not only does this episode parody a classic movie but it’s a great start to an otherwise underwhelming season. They also managed to convince Cyndi Lauper to sing a song called “Taffy Butt” which was probably no small feat.
As good as the episode is, “The Belchies” is in that weird limbo of what Bob’s Burgers was and what it has become. The episode has some jokes that are a little too edgy for now and it’s clear that the characters weren’t as well-developed either. Regardless as far as early episodes go, “The Belchies” is among one of the best. It would have been higher on the list if the remaining 5 wouldn’t have been so good.