Modern Family will be back for its 11th (and final!) season tomorrow but do you remember how Season 10 ended? We’ll get you caught up!
Modern Family is another ABC show that was in limbo coming into its previous season. The team behind the show put out a deadline for a renewal or they were prepared to end the show with the 10th season. They got their renewal, and announced that the 11th season will be the last.
With the show ending here, this season is likely to pull out all of the stops. Every member of the family will need some sort of closure and there are many ways that this can be achieved. To get to the conclusion though, we need to know where we left off.
A year of birthdays
The season 10 finale eclipsed a full year from Phil’s 50th birthday to his 51st. The episode covered every birthday in between and the major events that took place on them. There were many funny little moments but here are my top 3:
- Alex turned 21 and had planned to hit the bars with Haley. However with Haley pregnant, Alex got drunk and Haley listened to her drunken ramblings sober.
- Cam finally gave Mitch his day of peace but thought he knew better and planned a surprise party. When Cam came home Mitch thanked him for not throwing a big party and talked about all the bad things Cam has to say about their friends after a party. The friends were listening the whole time.
- Manny decided to have a talent show for his birthday and it did not go well. In fact. Let’s break that down further.
After everyone performed, it was time for Manny and his girlfriend Sherry (Hillary Anne Matthews) to perform an improv scene. The scene is awkward for everyone but the two in it but then Manny brings out a ring and proposes. Sherry is stunned, tells him no and runs out of the house.
More from Uncategorized
- Sight Unseen release updates: Cast, synopsis and everything to know about the CW series
- What happens to Calvin Evans on Lessons in Chemistry?
- Our Flag Means Death Season 2 release schedule: When do episodes come out on Max?
- Who is playing Sunday Night Football tonight, Oct. 1? (and how to watch)
- Bottoms movie soundtrack: Which songs play in the teen comedy?
It was bad but then for the rest of the episode, at least 3 more birthdays, Manny is crying over Sherry. The proposal seemed very early and sudden but Manny must have really meant it. More on this later.
Haley and the babies
At the very end of the episode, as the family gathers to see if Phil can cross off one of his goals for the year (he set at his 50th birthday party) Haley goes into labor. Phil was set to play Fur Elise on the piano and he does a very fast version on his way out to shut up a brat that was talking trash to him.
She has a boy and a girl and after a lot of laughs and a lot of pain the episode ends on a high note with the new additions to the family. There’s even a tear-jerker moment when Jay gives Phil the “World’s Greatest Grandad” mug that they gave him after Haley was born.
There is a third baby however as the episode ends on Manny still crying over Sherry because she got a toothpaste commercial.
In what should be a huge final season, Modern Family has already let us know what their first two episodes back will be about. In the first episode we will see Haley try to raise her kids with the books she’s purchased while her parents try to teach her their ways. Meanwhile, Manny is apparently still not over Sherry and will be attempting to win her back. Here’s to this not ending with them actually being engaged at the end of the season.
In the second episode, Claire is going to be interviewed for an important women’s business magazine and is doing her best not to let her family ruin it for her.
There is a lot to be figured out and we will start to get some answers in the coming days.
Modern Family returns to the ABC lineup this Wednesday at 9/8 Central.